Top Resume Tips for Entry-Level Job Seekers

The term “entry-level”, or “junior-level” typically refers to candidates with less than 5 years of professional experience, and includes those just starting out in their careers, as well as individuals in high school and college. For someone who is younger in their career, putting together a resume poses a unique challenge in determining just what […]

Career & Job Search Roundup (2/2/17)

The Career & Job Search Roundup is a weekly summary of top advice, resources, and content focusing on career transition, job searching, and personal brand development – expertly curated by the BRS team. This week’s theme focuses on preparing a solid exit strategy – whether you’re changing careers or moving onto the next opportunity. How to […]

You’re Ready to Quit Your Job. Now What?

I have always found that the decision to quit your job is often more painful than the execution. It’s easy to spend days, weeks – maybe even months – convincing yourself it’s the right time, the right move, building up the confidence to make it happen, and playing out various scenarios and conversations in your head. Will […]

Want to Ace the Job Interview? Come Prepared!

You’ve perfected the resume, sent out the application, received a response, and perhaps even passed the initial phone discussion. Now it’s time to ace the in-person interview. Fun fact: this is usually where people screw up. Even the best resume can’t make up for sub-par interviewing skills. Confidence, communication, and ability to articulate your value […]

Career & Job Search Roundup (1/20/17)

The Career & Job Search Roundup is a weekly summary of top advice, resources, and content focusing on career transition, job searching, and personal brand development – expertly curated by the BRS team. Resume Dos & Don’ts to Land the Interview (Apres) Sharing the most important parts of your professional story is the key to […]

Workaholic Syndrome: Why Avoiding Time Off Means Losing Money

Italy grants workers an average of 42 paid days off per year – some European countries exceed even that, in the interest of work/life balance. On average, Americans receive a whopping 13 days per year, and of those eligible to receive those benefits, only 57 percent are actually taking what they’ve earned. The other 43 percent […]

3 Tips for Building Your Network in a New City

Relocating to a new city can present a number of challenges to job seekers and career changers –including how to build a new professional network. Whether you’re in the process of planning to relocate or have already done so, there are a few things you can do to prepare in advance, start building lucrative relationships, […]

Do High School & College Students Need a LinkedIn Profile?

Q: Do high school and college students need a LinkedIn Profile in order to apply to job and internship opportunities? A: The short answer is yes, as I remain in the thought camp that LinkedIn can benefit almost anyone. However, in this case, students of high school and college age are likely in a place […]

Should I Disclose Vacation Plans in the Job Interview?

Q: I have vacation plans in place for the summer and I’m also actively interviewing for jobs. Do I need to tell potential employers upfront about my plans, and if so, at what point it is appropriate to ask for the time off? A: Unless you’re planning to be out for 2 months, or pretty […]

Most Powerful Resume Keywords

How to Choose Powerful, Descriptive Keywords for Your Resume   Nothing is worse than reading a resume littered with nondescript adjectives, or one that lacks powerful marketing phrases. For example: “Dedicated and results-oriented professional with 10 years experience supporting marketing and advertising departments.” I have no idea what this person does. And I can probably […]